16 September 2007

Ideas & Objects

"Ideas must be put to the test. That's why we make things, otherwise they would be no more than ideas. There is often a huge difference between an idea and its realisation. I've had what I thought were great ideas that just didn't work."
~ Andy Goldsworthy (link: portfolio at Cass Sculpture Foundation)

Photo Sharing at Photobucket

"My sculpture can last for days or a few seconds -- what is important to me is the experience of making."
~ Andy Goldsworthy (link: Artnet page)

Photo Sharing at Photobucket

"One of the beauties of art is that it reflects an artist's entire life. What I've learned over the past 30 years is really beginning to inform what I make. I hope that process continues until I die."
~ Andy Goldsworthy (link: profile in Smithsonian magazine, 2005)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

"[Andy] Goldsworthy basically embraces the traditional goal of art -- that is, he wants to add interesting objects to the world."
~ Deborah Solomon, "Stone Diarist" (New York Times, Sunday Magazine, 16 May 2004)

2 comments:

nicci said...

you have to love a man who makes sculptures with ice, using his urine as glue.

Helquin said...

These contemporary art-stars do love their bodily fluids, huh?

I'm struck by the sheer patience involved in his work. Now that leaves are starting to change, I thought I'd do some kind of Goldsworthy homage on one of my afternoon walks... but I soon realized that the process of gathering & arranging could easily become an all-day affair.

More power to him, though. Seeing his work has brought a new level of awareness to the time I spend walking through the woods.